Beibamboo. Award-winning design for the comfort of your baby.
Hospital Range for preemies and newborns
Caring for babies in a hospital environment, who have life saving IV-tubes and cannulae attached to them can be difficult and time consuming as well as painful for the child. When using regular baby wear, these wires have to be removed by trained medical staff before changing.Our hospital range has a fully opening design that takes these essential tubes and wires into account.
Using our hospital range will mean that parents themselves can perform simple everyday tasks like changing their child’s clothes or nappies, thus bonding with and actively caring for their child. This not only frees up the hospital staff’s time, but has also been proven to speed up the baby’s recovery. (Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto)
Our award winning, smart design practically eliminates the risk of preventable infection. Every time a cannulae or other device is removed from a baby and then re-attached, the risk of infection grows. Our designs minimise this risk.
- Folding mitts prevent baby’s from hurting themselves with their own sharp nails, and stops them from accidentally removing or fiddling with vital medical equipment.
- Designed in collaboration with NICU staff.
- Made using a super soft bamboo/organic cotton mix.
- All items are available in five different ribbon- and label colors.
I am proud that my premature clothing range is currently being used at neonatal wards in major Finnish hospitals. My love towards my own child inspires me to always do my best. My aim is always to put a child’s comfort first.”
Nina Ignatius, Founder, CEO
Winner, 2013 of “40 women over Forty”
as mentioned by Forbes.
The Zaky ZAK. Practice safe, effective and comfortable skin-to-skin and prevent infant fall
Monash Children’s Hospital Melbourne NICU is currently implementing The Zaky ZAK as a part of their safe and effective kangaroo care practise and infant fall prevention.
Kangaroo Zak, recently re-branded The Zaky ZAK, provides the baby with the correct positioning, comfort and a sense of security while effectively removing the risk of slips and falls, and medical equipment to become displaced. It provides immediate access to the baby in an emergency and is the only device that allows the parents to hold babies of any size without using the hands.
The Zaky ZAK is made with natural fibres for a soft, strapless, thin, stretchy and breathable sleep belt that covers the parent’s torso and closes on a selected size with a zipper. There are no added layers, pouch, uneven wrap pressure, buttons or Velcro. The material is thin and light in colour so you can see positioning and fluids for maximum safety. Wear a front open gown over if extra warmth is required, still allowing quick emergency release. Some procedures can still take place by pulling or folding The Zaky ZAK up or down.
Expressing and breastfeeding can also be done while wearing The Zaky ZAK.
Part of our extensive range of kangaroo care and evidenced based developmental care products, Zaky ZAK gives the baby safe continuous skin-to-skin contact with the parent and promotes the deep sleep required for growth, development and healing of the brain. It provides a family-centred approach to developmental care for premature babies. The Zaky ZAK is available in two adjustable sizes, making six size options.
Size 1 adjusts to Small / Medium / Large. Size 2 adjusts to XL / 2XL / 3XL. Parents SHOP HERE
Hospitals that use The Zaky ZAK (Kangaroo Zak) for skin-to-skin include Loma Linda Children’s Hospital, Mayo Clinics, Albany Regional Medical Center, Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Wake Forest and Brenner in North Carolina, REX Healthcare, Monash Health Melbourne and many more!
Developmental care tool Kangaroo Zak is used in over 400 hospitals in more than 50 countries.
Breast-Warmers, the safe self-warming breastfeeding aid, can be worn for breast comfort and easily removed from The Zaky ZAK before placing baby skin-to-skin.
An Ergonomic Approach to NICU Kangaroo Care
The consistent use of The Zaky ZAK (Kangaroo Zak) can achieve the following results: Support physiological stability and neurobehavioral organisation of preterm infants. Relieve maternal and infant stress. Support family centred developmental care. Improve outcome of maternal breastfeeding. Achieve all the advantages of Kangaroo Care in a safe, consistent and effective way
“Best Practice is Kangaroo Care as soon as possible, for as long as possible, and as uninterrupted as possible” Nyqvist et al., 2010, May Acta Paediatrica
Kangaroo Care Sessions
Who can be kangarooed: If the baby is in condition to be moved or lifted to be weighed, s/he can be transferred to Kangaroo Care.
Time of holding: No less than one hour per session, and there is no maximum time – the more the better. Since a complete sleep cycle is one hour, it is NOT recommended that the babies are held on kangaroo if the parent cannot hold for at least that long (especially for small preemies as it may cause reverse effects). The stress of the transfer only is outweighed if the baby is held for at least one sleep cycle.
Rule of thumb: preemies are “Kangarooed” for 6 months and full-term babies within one minute from birth until the first feeding and as much as possible for 3 months.
Ideally it starts with Birth Kangaroo Care Birth Kangaroo Care Competency Checklist by the USIKC (United States Institute of Kangaroo Care)
To maximize effectiveness of Kangaroo Care sessions, parents and caregivers must have some basic knowledge and understanding of the practise.
What parents need to know before holding baby Kangaroo Care: Learn the benefits of Kangaroo Care and to distinguish signs of stability of the baby and warning signs of instability (to stop the kangaroo session). Learn how to wear the Kangaroo Zak for standing and sitting transfer.
Kangaroo Zak can be opened just enough to allow the baby to sniff and explore the mother’s breasts, for breastfeeding/pumping, and numerous medical interventions while holding. Know that they may do the transfer alone, but ONLY after the training and approval of a medical professional.
Wear the Kangaroo Zak (The Zaky ZAK) without anything underneath, with the zippers to the side. Over it, wear comfortable clothing that easily opens in the front or a hospital gown. Remove jewellery that might come in contact with the baby. Refrain from using powder, lotion or perfume on the chest before doing skin-to-skin care. The baby needs to feel the parent’s natural scent.
Kangaroo Care Chairs, a range for every hospital budget
Contact us for information about chairs for the comfortable and safe practice of Skin-to-Skin Care in NICU and the Maternity Ward.
1. World Health Organisation Kangaroo Mother Care: A Systematic Review of Barriers and Enablers
2. Kangaroo Zak Research Results published in Newborn & Infant Nursing Reviews, Standard of Care
3. Reducing Premature Infants’ Length of Stay and Improving Parents’ Mental Health Outcomes With the Creating Opportunities for
4. Parent Empowerment (COPE) Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Program, A Randomized, Controlled Trial
5. For Finance Departments; Cost Model Evaluation of Kangaroo Care NICU Impacts – Jul17 Update
6. Safe criteria and procedure for kangaroo care with intubated preterm infants. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs.
7. Twenty-year Follow-up of Kangaroo Mother Care American Academy of Pediatrics, Dec 2017
8. Skin-to-skin care in preterm infants receiving respiratory support: Royal Women’s Hospital VIC Australia
9. World Health Organisation and UNICEF Baby Friendly USA (BFHI) Guideline 2016 Includes Kangaroo Care
10. Results and Video Interview of a Kangaroo Care Implementation Quality Improvement Project in 4 hospitals in Portugal.
The Sobreviver Project with Mary Coughlin
11. Recommendations for involving the family in developmental care of the NICU baby Journal of Perinatology September 2015
12. Hospitals can save money by Reducing Premature Infants’ Length of Stay and Improving Parents’ Mental Health Outcomes With the Creating Opportunities for Parent Empowerment (COPE) Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Program: A Randomized, Controlled Trial Paediatrics October 2006
15 Reasons Why The Zaky Zak Is Your Best Choice
- INNOVATION: The Zaky ZAK took 3 years in research, design and development lead by a Phd. in Ergonomics and human factors engineering whom is also a Kangaroo Mom of a baby born at 906 grams. She is a native of Colombia (living in Houston) and became a kangaroo care certified professional working with Kangaroo Care globally. She was recently being awarded a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to continue Kangaroo Care efforts, and she is the founder of Kangaroo Care Awareness Day celebrated globally on May 15th since 2011. She has won over 20 awards for innovation, design, and business practices.
- SIMPLICITY: The Zaky ZAK is designed to provide independence to the parent – not needing another pair of hands to help wear it. Designed for parents to do the transfer with the help of clinicians, when necessary.
- SUPPORT: The support to the baby goes from the top to the bottom of the zipper, which is the entire height of the device. There is no uneven pressure, thick wrap, buttons or Velcro
- FABRICS: The Zaky ZAK is constructed of a comfortable natural, strong, and breathable material that keeps the baby warm. Mom & baby are very tired and distressed, in particular if they have had a long labor prior to section being ordered.
- DELIVERY: The Zaky ZAK can be left fully open and leave under the mom to be closed when the baby is ready to be covered after birth. The other option is for mom to wear The Zaky ZAK and leave it partially open for the baby to come after delivery. The The Zaky ZAK is used in any unit where the baby is going after delivery. For the NICU, the parent wears it before moving the baby. It also can be worn by the dad or any adult with the permission of the parents.
- FULLY PROVEN IN HOSPITAL SETTINGS: The Zaky ZAK has been used safely since 2010 in hospital clinical settings and has a publication for implementation of Kangaroo Care in NICU. Others are new to the market following the design of The Zaky ZAK but changing key features.
- CONSISTENT FROM SESSION TO SESSION: The Zaky ZAK comes in 3 sizes that fit perfectly, consistently, and reliably to 9 sizes of adults, ranging from 3xs to 3XL. Always consistent fitting and level of containment as the Mom continues Kangaroo Care after re-applications, and as the baby grows.
- TRANSFER, ACCESS, AND EMERGENCY: The zipper gives quicker/quieter access to the baby from the top, bottom and side of the baby for interventions during kangaroo care. It also allows for immediate release for transfer and including in case of emergent conditions. Any adult can also wear them if the incubators/warmers lose power.
- STABILITY: The Zaky ZAK supports the baby so s/he does not slip under the fabric (to keep all equipment in place and keep baby safe if the parent falls asleep).
- COST EFFECTIVENESS: Over 100 kangaroo care sessions from each of The Zaky ZAK: The Zaky ZAK can be washed up to 40 times inside the washing bag that comes included. Follows the same washing protocol as the clothing of the babies. Rule of Thumb, wash after 3 sessions, unless soiled.
- COLOUR FOR HOSPITALS: Quick identification of blood as visually apparent with The Zaky ZAK light color vs dark colors used by others that might conceal a medical issue that would need immediate attention.
- TRANSFORMING THE CARE THROUGHOUT THE UNIT AND HOSPITAL: The Zaky ZAK is used in every unit in the hospital from delivery (csection or vaginal) and every unit with babies up to 12 lbs, supporting standing and sitting transfer.
- SUPPORTS BREASTFEEDING: Lower The Zaky ZAK or partially open the zipper to provide breastfeeding during kangaroo care.
- PARENT AND STAFF SATISFACTION: The Zaky ZAK is the number one choice by NICU clinicians for skin to skin care globally with hundreds of hospitals using it globally.
- HELP OTHERS: The Zaky ZAK sales support the donation of The Zaky products to families with critically-ill babies globally.
From premature baby care products to parent orders and NICU medical care supplies, we can help you.
Select your family-centred developmental care items, such as Kangaroo Zak care products, from Simple Solutions International today.
Simple Solutions International Authorised Distributor for Nurtured By Design to hospitals and parents in Australia and New Zealand.
Kangaroo Zak and The Zaky ZAK are Trademark by Nurtured by Design. All Rights Reserved.